Tuesday, April 8, 2014

My Beautiful Grandmother, Betty Kemp

My sweet Grandma passed away on March 31st. She had been sick for several years, but I still wasn't expecting the phone call. It was Monday and around 3:30 in the afternoon I was playing with Brooklyn and I got a call from my Daddy. He said that Grandma wasn't going to make it this time. I don't know all of the details but the night before she was especially sick, and in the middle of the night ended up going to the hospital. Her stomach died, and soon she would too. I was ready to get in the car immediately and drive to Utah, but my dad said that I wouldn't make it in time to see her. He was right. About ten minutes after that call I received another one saying that she was gone. Of course it was really hard to hear. I called Mike and he came right home from work, and we talked about how even though it was incredibly sad that we were so excited for my Grandma.

Here is her obituary:
1935 ~ 2014
Betty Jean Lambson Kemp, beloved wife, mother, and grandmother, returned to our Heavenly Father on March 31, 2014, surrounded her family. Betty was born on August 17, 1935, the youngest of the 14 children of Apolles Lorenzo and Mary Ethel Young Lambson. She was very proud of her family, especially her brothers who served in the military. She tried to honor and serve them throughout her life. Betty was born in Salt Lake City and grew up in the Lambson family home in Midvale. She graduated from Jordan High School in 1953. She was working as a secretary in Salt Lake when she met her sweetheart, Shirel C. Kemp. They were married on September 20, 1958, and they were sealed in the Salt Lake temple on January 13, 1962. The most important thing in her life was her family. She gave her all to support her husband and raise her five children. She sacrificed so much to raise a severely handicapped child, our dear Claudia, and yet was always there for all of her children. She loved dearly each of her five children, 13 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. She lived her testimony of the gospel every day of her life. She tried to love as the Savior loved, unconditionally and without reserve. Among her greatest accomplishments were the kind words and deeds that helped so many. She served faithfully in the LDS church, including callings as Primary President, Relief Society President and serving 10 years in the branch at the Sandy Regional Health Center. She was a talented teacher for many years and had a special gift for teaching with the spirit. She endured her many years of health problems with great courage and faith and never lost her desire to serve and think of others before herself. In times of trial, she drew much strength from the histories of her ancestors and was very proud of her pioneer heritage.
She is survived by her husband, Shirel Kemp and her five children: Claudia Kemp, Lynette Mumford (Royce), Ryan Kemp (Nancy), Lisa Rasmussen (Randy), and Julie Kemp. She is also survived by in-laws: Jackie Lambson, Jean Lambson, Earl Cummings, and Afton Kemp. She was preceded in death by her parents and her 13 siblings: Rex (Verda & Fern), Leona Otteson (Sid), Almon (Fannie), Charles, Bonner (Vivian), Bill, Ida, Arb (Loa), Don, Ronald (Jackie), Kenneth (Jean), Vera, and Carol Cummings (Earl); and her in-laws, Keith Kemp (Darhl) and Don Kemp (Afton).
There will be a viewing at Goff Mortuary, 8090 South State, Midvale, from 6 to 8 pm on Friday, April 4, 2014. The funeral will be at 12 noon on Saturday, April 5, 2014,at the Hidden Creek Ward, 8950 South 400 East in Sandy Utah, with viewing one hour prior to the funeral. Interment, South Jordan City Cemetery. www.goffmortuary.com
Published in Salt Lake Tribune on Apr. 3, 2014 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=betty-kemp&pid=170470379&#sthash.pDwgfkBB.dpuf

After the initial call I became very worried about my family, especially my mother and her siblings, and my Grandpa. Although it was incredibly hard for them, they were all excited for my Grandma as well. One thing that was kinda neat... On Tuesday my handicap Aunt Claudia was told the news. Apparently she had been awake the entire night before and had a blank face all throughout the day. She already knew what had happened. I bet that was one of the first places my Grandma went, was to comfort her special daughter. At the viewing Claudia was so excited to see her mother though, and said that she went to the spirit world. I know that she doesn't completely understand what has happened, but I know she knows more than we give her credit for.

On Thursday we drove to Utah. Friday was the viewing. It was beautiful. My Grandma had so many people come to say goodbye and pay their respects. It was hard to see her but I knew that she was not with her body anymore. She had a beautiful body, but her spirit had left.


Saturday was the day of the funeral. Sadly it was also Dakota's birthday. Anyway, it was a beautiful service. The Grandkids sang "My Heavenly Father Loves Me", and I will never listen to that song the same way again. It has always been my favorite primary song but now it has much more meaning. There were lots of talks and a couple other musical numbers. After the program we went to the South Jordan Cemetery and said our last goodbyes. Then we went back to the church and had a lunch. It was a day full of mixed emotions. We all cried for most of it, but also we were celebrating the wonderful life of my Grandma and so happy that she has moved on to a better place.
Sunday came and after hanging out with family we went with my aunts and uncles back to the grave site. Then Monday morning we headed back to Denver. It wasn't the best trip, but it was good to see family.

Just a few words about my Grandma... She was such a strong person. I don't remember her a whole lot before she got sick, but she toughed it out for so long. I remember her being at absolutely everything. Sports games, piano recitals, and all of the important stuff. Her and my Grandpa lived about 15 minutes from where I grew up so I saw her often. Most Sundays were spent at their house, and my Grandma was always so inviting and kind to all of us. She always had a positive outlook. Even when she could barely move she was focused on everyone else. I am so glad that she got to meet Brooklyn. I knew Brooklyn wouldn't really get to know her Great-Grandma, but I hope that she is able to learn about her and become a woman like her. There is a reason we gave Brooklyn her middle name of Jean- and a big part of that was because of Betty Jean Kemp. It is because we want her to live up to the name and carry it proudly. Brooklyn already reminds me of her. Her strong spirit and her red hair are just a couple of things. I am excited to see her grow up and find more qualities that she inherited from such a beautiful woman.

My Grandma had two heart surgeries. This is one reason I feel so close to her. After my heart surgery I really started to understand how strong my Grandma was. I am proud that I have a scar like she did. 

My Grandma was very selfless. She served her family and others constantly. I remember growing up her and my Grandpa served at a health and rehab center for the elderly and we would go and attend church there and go trick-or-treating. Everyone loved my Grandma. She showed she cared very well. 

I already miss my Grandma immensely. I miss going over to her house and will miss seeing her at family occasions. I miss her hugging me and giving me a kiss on the cheek and telling me she loves me. She was an amazing Grandmother to me and my siblings. I am grateful for the family that she came from and for the one that she built. Her life truly was her family, and I will strive to become a better person so that I can see her again someday. I am comforted to know that she is in heaven being reunited with her 13 older siblings, and her parents which died when she was fairly young. I am comforted to know that she is freed from the years of pain that she endured in this life. I know that her passing will be very hard for my Grandpa and for the rest of my family, but I am grateful that she lived the gospel, and taught us the plan of salvation. This gives us all peace, knowing that she still lives. I am comforted to know that I now have another angel watching out for me and my family.

Grandma, thank you for your amazing example and beautiful life. I love you. I look forward to the day when we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.